You can almost feel it happening. After washing, drying, and styling your hair, you step outside on a humid day and feel your perfectly coifed tendrils turn into a frizzy mess. Or maybe your hair just frizzes no matter the weather and you find yourself spending hundreds of dollars trying countless products all promises to tame that frizz.
What causes hair to frizz and what can you do about it that works? Read on and see for yourself.
Why Does My Hair Frizz?
To put it simply, hair frizzes when dehydration and dryness cause it to absorb excess moisture from the air. Wavy and curly hair is more prone to dryness, making it more prone to frizzing. However, straight hair that lacks hydration can also frizz, as can healthy hair when it encounters high humidity levels.
Ongoing heat styling can damage the hair cuticle and cause hair to frizz, as can dying, bleaching, and chemical treatments that can lead to dry, brittle hair.
Friction that lifts hair cuticles also create frizz. If you have curly or wavy hair and brushed or combed it when it’s dry, you know just what we’re talking about.
How to Tame the Frizz
Here are some tips and tricks to help tame your frizzy mane.
- Don’t over-wash your hair; every couple of days is plenty.
- Choose a shampoo specially formulated for dry hair, one that is packed with moisturizing ingredients.
- Use a hydrating, smoothing conditioner with ingredients like coconut and argan oil that penetrate deep into the hair cuticle and help soften strands.
- Remember to hydrate from the inside out. Drink plenty of water and avoid beverages and food that can dehydrate you.
- Take a break from chemical treatments like dyeing, bleaching, and heat styling products like hair dryers, curling wands, and flat irons. If you must use heat, use a heat protectant on your hair and set the tool on the lowest setting.
- Get regular trims to eliminate breakage and split ends.
- Avoid vigorous towel drying. Instead, towel-dry gently or use a microfiber towel to remove excess moisture after washing.
- Swap your regular cotton pillowcase for a silk or satin one to reduce friction and help tame frizz.
Hair is a precious commodity – not only want it to look its best but prevent premature thinning or balding. If you’re experiencing hair loss and are troubled by it, contact DiStefano Hair Restoration today for a free consultation. After all, more volume highlights your overall appearance even more.