Anyone’s hair can feel dry at some point. Perhaps you’ve been relying too much on heat styling or are using the wrong hair care products. But if left untreated, dry hair can become brittle, causing it to fray or break easily. In most cases, the condition can be treated with the consistent right care and a few simple lifestyle changes.
So, if you notice your hair isn’t as soft and healthy as it once was, here’s how to reverse the damage and, at the same time, prevent hair loss.
Dry Hair Defined
Healthy hair consists of two layers. Natural oils in the outer layer protect the inner layer, also reflecting light giving it a shiny appearance. But when hair doesn’t retain or get enough moisture, the outer layer breaks down causing hair to appear frizzy and dull. Dry hair can affect anyone but you’re more likely to develop it as you age.
Several factors can lead to dry hair, including:
- Hair care products and habits – washing hair too often, frequent heat-styling, dying or chemical treatments, use of harsh products
- Environmental conditions – hot and dry climate, a lot of time in the sun or on windy day, and frequent swimming in salty or chlorinated water
- Physical health – malnutrition, hypoparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, Menkes syndrome, among others.
If your hair is severely dry and does not improve with changes to your hair care routine, consult your primary care doctor or dermatologist to pinpoint the underlying cause.
In many cases, dry hair can be treated with lifestyle and hair care adjustments, including the following:
- Don’t wash your hair daily but do condition it with a hydrating condition every time you wash.
- Use a moisturizing shampoo, conditioner, and other hair products formulated for you hair type.
- Avoid chemical hair treatments and take breaks between hair coloring.
- Do keep up with regular cuts and trims to help keep split ends away.
- Avoid frequent heat styling.
- Protect your hair from heat and sun exposure
- Wear a bathing cap when swimming in chlorinated or salty water.
On the plus side, your hair can’t be dry if you don’t have any. And yet, on the flip side, consistently dry hair can lead to hair loss. So yes, do take care to treat your hair with TLC. But if yours already is damaged and thinning, don’t wait another day before contacting DiStefano Hair Restoration Center for a free restoration so we can explore one or more paths to replace what’s missing.