In our quest for healthy, beautiful hair, we often do things that do more harm than good. Hair that is fragile and damaged tends to break, become frizzy, and look lifeless. If the damage continues, it can eventually lead to hair thinning and even loss.
The good news is that a few simple changes can prevent further hair damage. Read on as we share 10 common hair-care practices that can harm your hair and tips for what to do instead.
- Rubbing shampoo through the length of your hair. Shampoo is designed to clean the scalp and remove excess oil. But if over-used or worked all the way down the length of your hair, it can strip too much oil and leave your hair dry. Instead, focus the shampoo on the scalp and when you rinse, allow it to flow through the length of your hair instead of rubbing it in.
- Skipping the conditioner. As mentioned above, shampooing strips some of your hair’s natural oils away. The right conditioner infuses moisture into each hair strand to replenish what shampooing takes away. After each shampoo, use conditioner specially formulated for your hair condition and type.
- Going capless in the pool. Pool chemicals can be hard on your hair, drying it out and causing split ends and breakage. Wear a swim cap each time you take a dip in the pool. If that’s not your thing, rinse your hair right after swimming, wash with a quality shampoo, and follow with a conditioner.
- Rubbing wet hair with a towel. Hair is most fragile when it’s wet, so rubbing, tugging, or pulling can damage strands. Squeeze out excess water and wrap your hair gently in a towel or clean t-shirt to absorb moisture without harm.
- Brushing your hair while it is wet. Water weakens hair, so treat it with care. To tackle tangles after a wash, use gentle strokes with a wide-toothed comb instead of tugging your tresses with a brush.
- Using “long-lasting hold” styling products. Use products that offer long-lasting hold in moderation. Overuse can cause hair to break and damage to follicles. Choose hairstyles that do not require such products.
- Over-brushing your hair. Frequent brushing causes friction and puts undue stress on your tresses. Brush or comb your hair only to style it and remove tangles with a conditioner if needed. Use your fingers to gently re-style your hair if needed.
- Pulling your hair back tightly. Frequently styling your hair in tight ponytails, buns, or braids can lead to split ends. Mix up your ‘do to keep your hair healthy and strong.
- Going hatless in the sun. The sun’s rays can dry out and weaken your hair. Wear a hat to protect your hair and scalp from sun damage (during the colder months, too!).
- Ignoring hair concerns. Your hair care may not be the root of your problem. If you’re experiencing hair thinning or loss, don’t ignore the situation. The sooner you seek help and address the issue, the better your results.
And that’s where we come in. At DiStefano Hair Restoration Center, our highly qualified and professionally trained experts will assess your hair loss and propose a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.