Pregnancy and motherhood are inspiring, exhausting, all-consuming, and rewarding. It is the ultimate roller-coaster ride of emotions. And yet for m
any, post-partum recovery, sleepless nights, and the challenges of navigating life with a new baby are enough to make you want to pull your hair out. Don’t worry, post-partum hormones will that for you.
On average, we lose 50 to 100 hairs a day. This is very normal and hardly noticeable because it doesn’t occur all at once. This natural shedding process is followed by new hair growth which means you’ll barely notice – if at all – any difference. However, when you’re pregnant, hormones prevent your hair from shedding, resulting in a lush head of hear.
But alas, all good things must come to an end. When your hormones drop back to normal levels after childbirth, you’ll notice a sudden increase in shedding, sometimes leaving you holding clumps of hair in your hand.
What you need to know.
No need to panic. Post-partum hair loss is normal and should level off within 6 to 12 months after childbirth. If you’re breastfeeding, some of that extra hair might hang on until you wean or introduce solids. But soon enough, your hair will be back to the way it was pre-pregnancy.
What you can do about it
- Continue to take a prenatal vitamin supplement and eat a balanced diet of healthy, nutritious foods.
- Be gentle to your hair during the shedding process to prevent excess hair loss.
- Avoid over-washing (as if you have time to wash your hair!). Use a good quality shampoo and a hydrating conditioner.
- Use a wide-toothed comb to gently style hair and minimize pulling and tugging.
- Don’t pull hair up into tight ponytails and use scrunchies or clips instead of rubber bands.
- Take a break from heat styling products and chemical treatments like highlights and perms to avoid further hair damage.
- Speak to your health care provider if you are experiencing excessive hair loss
You can always speak to us, too – DiStefano Hair Restoration Center. We’re hair loss and restoration specialist who can calm your worries or help you plot a course back toward a full and healthy head of hair. Plus, we offer free consultations – just contact the DiStefano office nearest you to schedule your appointment.