The average person’s hair grows about half an inch per month, or roughly 6 inches each year. Yet the rate at which hair grows is largely dependent on such factors as genetics, age, health, hormonal fluctuations, and diet.
While you can’t do much to change things like genetics and age (try as we might), you can control your diet, which can also help improve your health.
Eating a balanced diet with the right mix of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients not only can improve the health and strength of your hair but can slow down hair thinning and loss.
Here are 10 super foods to eat for strong, beautiful, and healthy hair.
- Eggs are a great source of protein, biotin, zinc, selenium, and a slew of other hair-healthy nutrients.
- Berries. Loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C that can promote hair growth. Additionally, vitamin C helps the body absorb iron and aids in collagen production; two factors that promote hair health.
- Spinach contains iron, folate, vitamins A and C, all of which are necessary for healthy hair.
- Fatty Fish. Salmon, mackerel, herring, and other fatty fish are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which have been linked to improved hair density and growth.
- Sweet potatoes. A great source of beta carotene which the body converts to vitamin A. In addition to its own benefits, vitamin A helps with sebum production, another ingredient to healthier hair.
- Avacados. These healthy fats are an excellent source of vitamin E which is an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals. Vitamin E also protects skin, including the scalp, from oxidative stress and damage.
- Nuts. This tasty and convenient snack contains vitamins E, B, zinc, and essential fatty acids.
- Seeds. Sunflower, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and others deliver a powerful punch of nutrients and vitamins (like vitamins B and E, selenium, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids) with relatively few calories.
- Beans are an excellent plant-based source of protein, zinc, biotin, iron, and folate. What’s more, they are inexpensive and extremely versatile.
- Oysters. One of the best sources of zinc which helps support hair growth and the repair cycle.
What’s good for your hair is also good for your body and mind. If, on the other hand, your hair already is thinning or you’re partially bald, why not schedule a free consultation with the medical team here at DiStefano Hair Restoration Center. We’ll have you feeling better about yourself in no time.