Look at the instructions on the back of any shampoo bottle and you’re bound so see “Lather, rinse, repeat”. Yet few people actually listen. In today’s busy world, why take the time to do something twice when once is good enough?
As it turns out, those instructions are there for a reason. Double cleansing is believed to have a variety of benefits for your hair, but it may not be right for everyone.
What is Double Cleansing?
Double cleansing means shampooing twice in the same shower session. It involves a first wash to remove product residue, a rinse, and a second wash to penetrate deeper and clean the scalp and hair. It’s not necessary every time you wash your hair, but can be beneficial if you’ve been swimming in a pool or the ocean, have a build-up of styling products.
How To Double Cleanse
While the process is straight forward, proper technique is important. First, wet your hair thoroughly, pour a small amount of shampoo into the palms of your hands, and smooth over your hair, focusing on the roots and scalp. Massage your scalp with the tips of your fingers for about a minute, then squeeze any suds through the length of your hair. Be sure to not pull or tug at your strands as hair is weakest when wet and can easily damage. Rinse thoroughly and repeat the process. You can use the same shampoo or use one specially formulated for a specific need.
Benefits of Double Cleansing
- Removes excess product.A double cleanse is good if your hair is coated in excess styling products. The first shampoo loosens build-up, and the second lifts it away and cleans your scalp.
- Lifts and rinses away flakes.If you have dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, or another scalp condition, and are unable to shampoo daily, double cleansing with a targeted shampoo may help lift and rinse flakes away more effectively.
- Thoroughly cleans hair after harmful exposure. Chlorine, ocean water, and hard water are filled with minerals that tend to cling to your strands, making them feel brittle, tangled, and dry.
- Preps the hair for treatments.Double cleansing helps create a clean canvas for the penetration of active ingredients found in masks or conditioning treatments.
Risks of Double-Cleansing
- Could cause over-production of oils.If you use a shampoo that’s overly cleansing, it can strip your scalp of its natural oils, causing the scalp to overcompensate and produce more oil, leading to build-up.
- Waste of product, time, and water.If you’re double cleansing when you don’t necessarily need to, you’re wasting product and spending more time in the shower, which means more running water and energy consumption.
Is Double-Cleansing Right for You?
Most hair types can benefit from a double cleanse every once in a while to get hair clean and free of product build-up and flaky skin. However, it’s best for those who do not wash their hair every day. If you shampoo daily or every other day, double cleansing can do more harm than good.
If you’re noticing more and more hair on the shower floor, whether you double cleanse or not, call DiStefano Hair Restoration Cneter and take the first step toward a full, healthy head of hair. Call us today to schedule your free consultation.