Proper rest and care are crucial to the healing process after any medical procedure, and hair transplant surgery is no different. In fact, failing to follow your surgeon’s post-op care recommendations can result in unnecessary pain, swelling, and can lead to infection.
To fully recover realize maximum benefit from your hair transplant, be sure to do the following:
- Try to rest as much as possible.
- Eat a nutritious dinner and take prescribed antibiotics and pain medications as instructed. Most patients do not require strong pain medications after the first day.
- Sleep with your head slightly elevated for the first few nights, being careful not to rub or bump the transplant area on a pillow or headboard.
1 to 3 Days After Procedure
- You will return to your transplant care practice the following day for a post-operative exam. Your gauze wrap will be removed, and the doctor will check that the grafts are healing properly and there are no complications. You should only be experiencing minimal pain and discomfort at this time.
- Avoid getting your scalp wet for three days following surgery. When showering or bathing, wash your body only.
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol, or go in direct sunlight after surgery, as doing so can increase scarring and interfere with the healing process.
- Do not engage in strenuous activity, and be sure to eat a healthy, balanced diet to help support healing.
- You may gently wash your hair on the 4th Use baby shampoo and gently wash with your fingertips. Rinse with warm water and pat your hair and scalp dry with a soft, clean towel.
1 to 3 Weeks After Procedure
- In the three weeks following surgery, continue to avoid strenuous activity – walking and jogging are acceptable. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol as much as possible and avoid exposure to direct sunlight and chlorinated water.
- Avoid the use of styling products during the first week as they may contain chemicals that can interfere with healing.
- After day 10, you may wash your hair regularly. Any scabbing you’ve experienced should be falling away at this point. Avoid scratching your scalp and sooth itchiness with cold water.
- You may also resume your normal hair care routine but continue to avoid harsh products which can dry out hair and damage follicles.
- After 12 – 14 days, it will be obvious to no one – except those you see routinely – that you’ve undergone hair transplant surgery.
While these post-care procedures will serve you in good instead for now, rest assured that DiStefano Hair Restoration Center will develop a detailed post-surgery treatment plan just for you. That’s the kind of individual care we’re known for. So, contact us today to schedule a free consultation, and let’s get started.