Wavy, curly, or stick straight, long, short, or somewhere in between, hair is as unique as the person it belongs to. It’s found in countless colors, textures, and lengths, and goes through a variety of changes during a person’s lifetime.
Think you know everything there is to know about your hair? Think again. Here are 15 interesting facts about the hair growing on top of your head.
- Hair is the second fastest growing tissue in the human body – bone marrow comes in first.
- A healthy strand of hair can stretch up to 30 percent of its length when wet.
- Black is the most common color in the world whereas red exists in only about 1 percent of the world’s population.
- Hair has an average lifespan of about 5 years, and 90 precent of it is growing at one time while the other 10 percent is at rest.
- By the time we are 5 months old in the womb, all hair follicles are formed.
- Hair was used to help absorb oil from the 2007 Cusco Busan oil spill in the San Francisco Bay
- About 95 percent of our skin is covered in hair. In fact, the only places hair can’t grow is on your lips, the palms of your hands, soles of your feet, and mucous membranes.
- Crash dieting can cause temporary hair loss.
- A single strand of healthy hair can support up to 6.5 pounds of weight.
- A strand of hair is stronger than a copper wire of the same diameter.
- If a man never shaved his beard, it would grow to over 30 feet in length.
- In the 1950s, approximately 7 percent of women dyed their hair. Today, it’s about 75 percent.
- During the Victorian Era, people made pendants, brooches, and other jewelry from the hair of deceased loved ones.
- A lack of B vitamins – B12 especially – can speed up the greying process.
- Hair contains info on everything that’s been in your blood stream, including medicine, drugs, vitamins, and minerals. The only thing that can’t be identified by hair is a person’s gender.
And now for a disturbing hair fact that impacts men and women alike – you can lose all or some of it. Then again, you already knew that. What you may not know is that DiStefano offers multiple hair transplant solutions to give you back your more youthful appearance and a greater sense of self-confidence. Contact us today for a free initial consultation – and yes, we treat men and women.