We all know when it comes to hair, there’s no such thing as a stupid question. Getting helpful, accurate answers about hair is vital to understanding how to care for it, get it looking and feeling its best, and give you longstanding confidence in how you feel every single day.
We’ve compiled some of the most frequently asked questions about hair. Check them out below.
- Should I wash my hair every day? While it may not hurt to wash your hair daily, it isn’t necessary – every two to three days is fine. This allows your natural oils to build up which can be beneficial to your hair and scalp. Some chemicals in shampoos can dry your hair out so look for sulfate-free products.
- Does cutting your hair make it grow faster? There is nothing that can make hair grow faster than it normally would. However, regular trims prevent split ends, which results in healthier hair.
- How do I get rid of split ends? While some products claim to “heal” split ends, the only way to truly get rid of them is to cut them off.
- Are expensive hair products worth the money? Cheaper, drugstore shampoos, may have a higher volume of ingredients that can cause drying, build-up, and breakage. That’s not to say more expensive products are inherently better. Choose hair care products formulated for your hair type that contain as few “bad” ingredients as possible.
- How do I tame frizzy hair? Go easy on damaging hair care products and styling techniques. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and gently comb your hair with a wide-tooth comb while it’s still wet.
- How do I combat oily hair? Take a look at your hair products and styling techniques. A dry scalp may overcompensate and produce an overabundance of oil.
- Does leaving conditioner in longer mean it’s working harder? Not necessarily. After a few minutes in the shower you’ve probably maximized any benefit.
- How do I get my hair to grow faster? As we mentioned previously, there’s not much you can do to change the speed at which your hair grows. Focus on promoting healthy hair through quality hair care products, gentle styling practices, a healthy, nutritious diet, and proper hydration.
- Why do I lose so much hair in the shower? On average, we lose 50 to 100 hairs a day. If you are losing significantly more than that, you may be experiencing excessive shedding. Speak to your doctor if you are concerned.
- My hair is thinning, what can I do? Unlike widespread hair loss, thinning doesn’t necessarily cause baldness. Instead, it gives the appearance of sparser spots of hair on your head. It may be caused by lifestyle habits, genetics, certain medical conditions, and a variety of other factors. Talk to your doctor about potential causes and treatment options.
If you’re experiencing hair thinning or loss, take the first step and speak to the hair restoration experts at DiStefano. We’ll discuss your health, hair loss concerns, possible causes, and more, and put together a personalized plan just for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.