So, you have finally decided to go through a much needed hair loss restoration surgery after giving it a lot of thought. You did your research, took the time to understand the scope and possible risks involved in the procedure and found the best hair transplant surgeon available.
Now, all you need to do is to prepare yourself for the big day. To increase your chances that everything will go exactly according to plan, here are some do’s and don’ts that you need to consider before going under the knife.
Hair Loss Restoration Surgery – Some Do’s and Don’ts
- Wash your hair thoroughly. Make sure you ask your doctor if you need to use any special shampoo to clean your hair before your scheduled surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothing. However, make sure that you don’t wear anything that needs to be pulled over your head after the procedure.
- If you dye your hair, do it three days before the operation. This will make the white hair more visible. Just make sure you shampoo your hair thoroughly to keep your scalp virtually dye-free.
- Take your prescription medications as directed. If you are taking heart and blood pressure medications, there is no harm in taking them right to the day of your procedure.
- Discuss your medical condition with your surgeon. If you are a diabetic, you should consult your surgeon on how to handle your diet and insulin management on the day of the surgery. You should likewise inform your surgeon if you are taking any blood thinners or broad beta-blockers to avoid any complications.
- Cut your hair. It is better to leave your hair at the long side to cover the resulting sutures or staples after the procedure.
- Take vitamin supplements. Please be advised against taking vitamin B, E and multivitamin supplements a week before the scheduled procedure since these supplements may increase bleeding.
- Take anti-inflammatory medications. You should likewise avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medications seven days prior to your surgery.
- Drink and smoke. Avoid smoking for at least a week and avoid alcohol for at least three days before your scheduled operation. Smoking may prolong the healing period, increase the risk of infections and contribute to poor hair growth while alcohol thins the blood and may increase your risk of bleeding.
- Drink caffeinated beverages. Coffee and other caffeinated beverages may increase your sensitivity to the medications used during the procedure and may likewise increase your risk of bleeding.
Remember, you have the power to help ensure the success of your hair loss restoration surgery so make sure you do your part well.
To learn more about the hair restoration options that may best suit your condition, contact Dr. Mark DiStefano’s office via this online form or call us at 1(888)609-4247 to arrange a free professional consultation today.
DiStefano Hair Restoration Center is committed to helping men and women take charge of their appearance and self-esteem through hair restoration options. For more than 16 years, DiStefano has been at the forefront of the hair transplantation industry, and has performed more than 5,000 successful hair transplant procedures.